Dial 911 for Emergencies

Noise Variance Application Information

The Noise Control Board issues noise variances. A noise variance does NOT give anyone the right to create excessive noise to the point that it bothers others. It DOES allow individuals or groups hosting special events to use amplified sound during certain times. A variance should be obtained for infrequent, short-term events or activities.

AMPLIFIED SOUND OR MUSIC – A variance is always required for any amplified musical instruments, amplified music or voice in a public space.

Any noise disturbances at a private residence, business, car, etc will need a variance for 9 p.m. – 8 a.m. on weekdays and anytime on the weekends (Saturday or Sunday).

CONSTRUCTION – A variance is needed 9 p.m. – 7 a.m. during weekdays and anytime on weekends.

No Variance will be issued for noise after 10 PM.

Noise Variance requests for bands or amplified music at private house parties or bars/nightclubs will NOT be approved!

Block Parties or Events at City Parks – must obtain an Activity Permit from the City of Lancaster Office of Promotion (LOOP).